Yay for cock!
Happy New Year!! Today is the first day of the Lunar/Chinese New Year; the year of the cock. Yay for cock! Its times like today I am happy about working at the Taiwan Consulate office because our office is closed today! Yay! Chinese New Year is probably the biggest holiday in Taiwan. There, offices actually close for a whole week, sometimes longer. Bummer that we aren't closed for a week, but at least I get one more holiday than you silly Americans. :)
To celebrate, Jason, Penny, her boyfriend Johnny and I had a traditional Chinese New Year's dinner last night. There are certain things you are supposed to eat that are supposed to bring you luck and prosperity for the new year. Here is a list of some of those items:
1. fish-You are supposed to eat one fish and have another fish left over for the next day. I think it is supposed to symbolize someting like prosperity; having enough for the future.
2. "hair" vegetable-It has this name becuase it looks like hair. I think it is related to seaweed. The name in Chinese sounds similar to the words that mean "lucky," which is why you're supposed to eat it; to bring good luck. It sounds gross, but is actually quite yummy. Jason ate it and actually had more than one helping, so it can't be all that bad. :)
3. apples-The reason for this is another play on (Chinese) words. Apples are for peace/safety.
4. Chinese sausage-I'm not sure what the reason for this one is, but my mom told me I'm supposed to eat it on New Year's, so I did.
So, if you are a cock, this is your year! Happy Lunar New Year, everyone!!
1 Comments:
SUCH a wrong title...OMG SO wrong!! But Happy New Year!! My friend Ryan in China said times were getting crazy right now with the fireworks and what-not...sounds like a good time!
Post a Comment
<< Home