Thursday, May 05, 2005

The nubs, they are a waggin'

On this day 3 years ago, I adopted 2 adorable rat terriers from Animal Haven. I can't believe that someone could give up those 2 nubs of tails that are so short that their butts wiggle when they are wagging like crazy because they are SO EXCITED to see you, even if you just stepped outside for one minute. And Lily's cute little floppy ears with that tiny face and those expressive eyes that just make you melt. On the other hand, as my hubby says, Mack has a face that only a mother could love, but I'm that "mother" and Mack is a big time mama's boy. But I guess its a good thing, for me, that someone could give them up, otherwise, they wouldn't be MY babies.

As a first-time dog owner, I wanted to adopt one calm, adult dog to get used to taking care or a dog. I saw Mack, who was 3 at the time, at the shelter and fell in love. But when I asked about him, they told me that they wanted to keep him and his sister together. Lily was the 2-year-old who was jumping up and down, up and down and running all over the place. I looked at Jason, we discussed it, and he told me I could handle it. The next day, we went to pick them up. Mack was trembling when I took him out of his cage and huddled close to me all the way home. Jason took Lily.

OMG! The next 2 weeks were INSANE! Mack was kind of a loner and basically ignored us. He was pretty skiddish and took a while to warm up to people, especially guys. Lily, on the other hand, was nuts! We had to watch her like a hawk because she peed on EVERYTHING and would NOT sit still. Finally, I discovered the almighty life saver: pig ears. Jason and I took them to a pet store, where Mack proceeded to take a dump in the middle of the floor and tried to pee on every corner that he smelled like another dog. Jason suggested getting them pig ears. I was completely amazed; Lily LOVED them and actually calmed down as she chewed on her treat. Needless to say, I stocked up!

So here we are, 3 years later. Lily has calmed down A LOT. She is an awesome cuddler, but watch out because she LOVES to give kisses on the mouth. As I said before, Mack has turned into a big mama's boy. He, too, is an awesome cuddler. Still kind of a loner, but likes a good tummy rub.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home